Monday, July 13, 2015

Fun on the 4th

Hey there, everyone!  Missy back with you today.  I haven't scrapped any 4th of July photos yet this year, and as soon as I saw this awesome Star Spangled cut file, I knew it was perfect for some awesome red, white and blue photos!


I first took a piece of white cardstock and covered most of it with lots of different washi tapes.  I went through my stash and pulled out lots of different reds, blues, greys and silvers.  I wanted varying patterns and hues, and I just layered them across the page.  Then I adhered the cardstock to my Silhouette cutting mat and simply cut the the shape.  I did turn my blade up to a 5 since it was thicker, and it cut pretty well.  I had a few spots where the tape wanted to pull, but for the most part, this worked like a charm.  You can see how I did this in my process video down below.


When I first pulled the shape off the mat, I really loved how it looked!  Although it was busy and bright, I knew that if I added some reds and blues behind it, the stars would really stand out.  So I traced the cut file and used watercolors and gelatos to color the open spots in.  Then I used a pencil to traced around all the edges so the stars would pop a little more.  Finally, I machine stitched with shiny silver thread.


I kept the embellishing to a minimum.  That background does all the work, and it didn't need much more.  I only added the title, a little bit of tangled thread, a flair button and the layers of paper behind the photos.


At the end, I added in a few sentiment stickers and some awesome silver glitter stars.  And that's it!


Here's the process video if you're interested in seeing how this page came together.  Thanks for watching!



Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

1 comment: